Here are some of our favorite supplies when cooking with my three-year-old. Don’t be afraid to just grab a chair and get going, but these are a few things that have made it a little easier and fun for us. (contains affiliate links)
1. Curious Chef 3-Piece Nylon Knife Set: We found the perfect knife set for our three-year-old. They’re not sharp enough to hurt him but they’re sharp enough to cut fruits and vegetables. They’re also serrated so we can practice going back and forth to cut things. And they feel good with a nice weight.
2. Learning Tower: I think this is a must have for cooking with kids! You could use a stepstool too but this gets rid of any anxiety about falling off and you and your child can focus on cooking. We made one using some wood and an Ikea stepstool- here’s the hack- http://happygreylucky.com/ikea-hack-toddler-learning-tower-stool/
We also have this one. It’s bigger so better for older kids and it folds up nicely so we can store it in the garage.
3. Chef Hats: We ordered these for Bodhi’s birthday party and they’re perfect. They fit my three-year-old but it’s got a velcro adjustment that I could even make fit my ten-month-old. They stay on well and look great. They obviously don’t affect the cooking but they’re fun and they have also inspired a lot of dramatic play after cooking together.
4. Sifter: This is just a regular crank sifter for adults but it’s one of Bodhi’s favorite tools in the kitchen. He gets to dump the flour in and then turn the handle to sift it into the bowl. He loves using it for pretend cooking as well.
5. Chopper: These are fantastic for little hands still developing those fine motor skills. And they make fun wavy patterns! This is one of our favorites- Joie Fruit And Vegetable Wavy Chopper Knife Stainless Steel Blade.